Although I didn't agree with every conclusion Hardy comes up with, it was a very thought-provoking book which provided much insight. The basic elements of Book of Mormon geography are discussed, and the authors and keepers of the sacred records are listed. Personally, I found that Dr. Hardy occasionally cannot resist the urge to point out what he feels are inconsistencies of the presentation of the text against Joseph Smith as author. How to Effectively Study the Book of Mormon. Anyway, I’m Timothy B. Wilson. It took me almost two years to get through, partially due to the writing style, but mostly because of the many issues that Grant Hardy mentioned, which I sometimes spent weeks researching. I gained further light and understanding in seminary when the CES materials analyzed every single verse, allowing me to extract meaning from the entire text, and not just the "meat" verses. ", In the Service of Your Fellow Beings - Mosiah 2:17, Mourn with Those That Mourn - Mosiah 18:8-10. This portion felt less well-developed, except maybe as a springboard for furthe. Laudably, he tries to walk a fine line in asking the reader to set assumptions of historicity aside as they explore the text; how well he personally succeeds at following his own advice as he guides the reader through the Book of Mormon is debatable. Explaining to His disciples why He taught in parables, He said: Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given. How can we do the same? The approach to the characters and editors of the story of the Book of Mormon will, undoubtedly, infuriate some members of the LDS Church. Reading against the text and looking for narrative omissions can illuminate narratorial motivations. Grant Hardy has done a very close read of the book from a literary perspective and appeals to it as literature, irrespective of whether you believe it is true or not. It is a wonderful way to see the work as a whole rather than as a series of separate stories/chapters. Episódios. He was fine when confining his analysis to the actual evidence in the book. The Book of Mormon London, London: "Hi there! Dr. Hardy's aim is not to produce a sum. At the very least, read the portion of the book on Nephi. And one more disclaimer - Hardy does appear to reach at times in his conclusions, even as his find. I feel the author did a good job at laying down the facts even if it may shake someones world. Wow, it’s in positions #1 thru 8 on page one. It took me over a year to inch my way through it sporadically while reading alongside the Book of Mormon itself. Change ), You are commenting using your Twitter account. There are books and other aids out there to help you with a subject that you may not fully understand. However, like some others, I had a hard time with Hardy's judgmental approach to several of his subjects. Those who study the teachings and doctrine of the Book of Mormon will come to know that Jesus is the Christ. Change ), You are commenting using your Facebook account. He reads between the lines, against the grain, and just pays good attention, and his hard work is richly rewarded. I don’t necessarily agree with many of grant hardy’s opinions, not only on the people but on many of the circumstances and at times the opinions are a bit annoying when they’re written like mind reading but in all I really enjoyed his thoughts and it definitely expanded min. Rather than seeing it as a jumble of odd stories,difficult and disjointed, the author offers a detailed guide to the contents that meets the needs of both believers and outsiders. For instance, despite all the times I have read the Book of Mormon I never really thought that it is a tragedy—yes, everyone dies—and yet it is a book about hope. Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Start by marking “Understanding the Book of Mormon: A Reader's Guide” as Want to Read: Error rating book. I should also note, of course, that this is a book interested in looking at *narrative*, not theology. I love this book! By focusing on the narrative, he shows that there is an organizing principle at work. Pretty much everything you expect to see in a religious text. 2 Nephi 11-25: “We Rejoice in Christ” (February 17-23) – Book of Mormon Study Notes, Doctrine and Covenants 3-5: “My Work Shall Go Forth” (January 18-24), “He Shall Do a Work…Which Shall Be of Great Worth” – 2 Nephi 3:7, “The Heart of the Children” – 3 Nephi 25:6, Old Testament Scriptures Quoted by Moroni to Joseph Smith, Doctrine and Covenants 2; Joseph Smith—History 1:27–65: “The Hearts of the Children Shall Turn to Their Fathers” (January 11-17), Doctrine and Covenants 3-5: "My Work Shall Go Forth" (January 18-24), The Nurture and Admonition of the Lord - Enos 1:1, His Hand Is Stretched Out Still - 2 Nephi 19:12, 17, 21; 20:4, Why Is Jesus Called "the Author and the Finisher of Our Faith? Recommended, even from a secular perspective for larger-scale architecture in the text. I was interested in the narrators of the Book of Mormon and started reading with anticipation, and there were definitely some interesting insights which caused me to look at the situation differently; however when I finished reading, I felt slightly dirty. Born and raised a Mormon, I've been on that inevitable intellectual and spiritual journey of my mid-twenties to deeply analyze the doctrines, beliefs, and scriptures of the religion of my youth, as well as to find a comfortable stance as to what I believe and where I want to situate my life and devotion. Everyone who is interested in the Book of Mormon should read this incredible book. That is what Hardy was studying and elaborating in this book. Today, I will remember that receptiveness requires effort. This is a book you need to invest time into to understand. Hardy examines Nephi, Mormon, and Moroni as narrators of the Book of Mormon and discusses how their purposes affect what they include and how it is written. Sorry, your blog cannot share posts by email. I am not sure I know yet, but it was fascinating readin. Hardy dismantles the black-and-white message of the Book of Mormon by examining closely each author's motives. Everyday low prices and free delivery on eligible orders. Hardy represented some scripture heroes in a strange and kind of negative light and made some leaps on what the Narrators were thinking as though he were reading their minds. Recommended, even from a secular perspective for larger-scale architecture in the text. I first published “Mormon’s Story” (3,000 hefty copies) in 1993. Unlike virtually all other recent world scriptures, the Book of Mormon presents itself as an integrated narrative rather than a series of doctrinal expositions, moral injunctions, or devotional hymns. It's dense and at times beyond my reading comprehension. This is a complicated book that examines the Book of Mormon as one would examine a work of literature. But Hardy's guide put more color into the characters. And I did, and I'm in the middle of reading it again. I felt like I was back taking an English class in college. This promise of Moroni written in the Book of Mormon has blessed me throughout my life. I don’t necessarily agree with many of grant hardy’s opinions, not only on the people but on many of the circumstances and at times the opinions are a bit annoying when they’re written like mind reading but in all I really enjoyed his thoughts and it definitely expanded mine and made me realize many possibilities I had never thought of before. One of the advantages of the hard copy book is the footnotes. I really feel like I understand so much more now! Hardy is particularly intrigued with the fact that the book is "written" from the viewpoint of three narrators: Nephi, Mormon, and Moroni. Understanding the Book of Mormon book. It has helped me read the BOM in a different way and I can't stop sharing what I learn to see what other people think of it. However, like some others, I had a hard time with Hardy's judgmental approach to several of his subjects. And one more disclaimer - Hardy does appear to reach at times in his conclusions, even as his findings and insights are almost always impressive. You could be forgiven for reading a few particularly enlightening chapters and skipping some of the minutiae that is necessary to fully flush out the author's arguments. ... and just pays good attention, and his hard work is richly rewarded. Prophetic teachings are generally not intended to be soothing. Not bad. Recommended to me by Richard Bushman himself! The Made Harder series is proof that making things easier does not always make them better. So I began reading this as my "Sunday Novel" but being 3 months shy of reading it a full year I had quit that notion as I often didn't take the time to pick it up on Sundays. A brief example: Grant Hardy managed to get a book about the Book of Mormon published by the prestigious Oxford Press. This portion felt less well-developed, except maybe as a springboard for further studies. I can't recommend this book enough. My moral development owes to reading the Book at face value the first eleven times. Joseph Smith claimed that the Book of Mormon is an ancient text written by ancient Jews who came to the Americas long before Columbus. It is difficult to understand if you..." | Check out answers, plus see 5,812 reviews, articles, and 338 photos of The Book of Mormon London, ranked No.2,343 on Tripadvisor among 8,265 attractions in London. It sounds like the Lord is telling Isaiah to intentionally obscure his message, so that it won’t be understood. The narrators speak directly to us, the readers, and unlike the Bible, they are challenging us to do things. I enjoyed this book way more than expected even though it comes to the topic from a spiritually agnostic point of view. You could be forgiven for reading a few particularly enlightening chapters and skipping some of the minutiae that is necessary to fully flush out the author's arguments. The literary connections, and prospective that Hardy provides is complex and provocative, especially towards the end of the book with his examination of the Book of Ether. We will be talking about another strategy to enhance our study of the Book of Mormon. And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive: The evidence for EmoE in the Book of Mormon is interesting, but there are a few caveats. 9 x 6.1 x 0.5 inches Grant Hardy's book achieves what it sets out to do: "to demonstrate a mode of literary analysis by which all readers, regardless of their prior religious commitments or lack thereof, can discuss the book in useful and accurate ways." In his literary analysis, LDS scholar and University of North Carolina professor Grant Hardy approaches his study of the Book of Mormon by analyzing the distinct voices and themes of the three narrators: Nephi, Mormon, and Moroni. For instance, despite all the times I have read the Book of Mormon I never really thought that it is a tragedy—yes, everyone dies—and yet it is a book about hope. It’s a book. The Book of Mormon is a volume of holy scripture comparable to the Bible. I wanted to like this book very much, and looked forward to reading it. Be the first to ask a question about Understanding the Book of Mormon. But similar to the parables of Jesus, Isaiah’s words will only be meaningful to us if we make the effort to see past the symbolism and understand the underlying principles which we can apply to our lives. Great book for believers and nonbelievers a like. We've got you covered with the buzziest new releases of the day. The careful analysis of the three main authors within the text are honest and revealing. It was so intellectually rigorous and so fascinating overall that I read every footnote also. How can we do the same? While the subtitle to this book is “A Reader’s Guide,” I think it would be more appropriate to call it “An Academic’s Guide.” This book is dense. I borrowed from the library but I will definitely buy. About the best of the vernacular text versions of the Book of Mormon. Change ), You are commenting using your Google account. To see what your friends thought of this book, Understanding the Book of Mormon: A Reader's Guide, I've had this book on my shelf for something like 10 years, and I've only finally gotten around to reading it. All that aside, the book is fascinating as it takes the risks of humanizing sacred stories with human flaws as well as asserting, on occasion, that perhaps the Mormon story behind its production deserves a closer look. A primary role of prophets is to call us to repentance, which means making course corrections or incremental improvements. And when we do so we can see how God's voice emerges out of the text (even with its flaws) and it can act as scripture in the true sense of the word. Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email. In the Book of Mormon, you see heroes and villains, prophets and idolaters, good and evil. I can't recommend this book enough. A decade ago there were few scholarly books written for the non-Mormon audience about the Book of Mormon, and in another decade there will probably not be many more. Laura Hales: Hello. However, I generally appreciated Dr. Grant Hardy’s scholarly work, Non-Mormons, Anyone with a literary interest, LDS. I did come away with a greater sense of the deliberateness of the construction. Just a moment while we sign you in to your Goodreads account. All the text of the Book of Mormon—as well as large, lined margins—will give you a large canvas to express your thoughts, document insights you've received, or create your own visual art illuminations, or calligraphy, enhancing your daily study and creating a record that will endure. In fact, I found parts of it downright faith-promoting, which is not something I expected from the book at all. This book is becoming hard to find any longer. Mormon / ˈ m ɔːr m ən / is believed by members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to be a prophet-historian and a member of a tribe of indigenous Americans known as the Nephites, one of the four groups (including the Lamanites, Jaredites, and Mulekites) described in the Book of Mormon as having settled in the ancient Americas. ( Log Out /  Yet it is unquestionably one of the most influential books ever written. Insights from my daily study of the Book of Mormon. However, within those twenty years I doubt that there will be a book that approaches the depth and complexity in regards to the text as Dr. Hardy's volume. This book carefully makes connections within the text that are not obvious, and with those connection makes a compelling case that The Book of Mormon is a sophisticated work of scripture, and not just propagandistic ramblings of a country boy. Long and complicated, written in the language of the King James version of the Bible, it boggles the minds of many. I have decided that 2 Nephi will always be very hard to get through for me. Refresh and try again. For this people’s heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them. A chapter by chapter podcast to help us Understand The Book of Mormon Show more. With over 140 million copies in print, it is a central text of one of the largest and fastest-growing faiths in the world. This book is a great help in studying the Book of Mormon ... Understanding the Book of Mormon This book will really help you study the Book of Mormon and understand it. And now, as a college grad, this Hardy's guide provides a scholarly, non-devotional perspective on the Book. I may need to do some work to extract value from Isaiah’s words, but that work will demonstrate to God that I genuinely want to hear and understand His messages for me, and that I truly want to be converted and healed. Oh my goodness, what an excellent study of the Book Of Mormon! We understand that you may not be in the same Wagon that we are about the Book of Mormon. I was tickled by Mark Twain's anecdote that the Book of Mormon is "chloroform in print," and impressed by Hardy's concluding remarks that yes, the Book of Mormon can sound awkward, repetitious, and derivative, "but if we direct our attention deeper, to the level of form and structure, there is much more going on than first meets the eye." Here's a handful of random insights to serve as teasers from the first 1/4-or-so of the book: When it comes to scripture, I am devoutly skeptical. It is a record of God’s dealings with ancient inhabitants of the Americas and contains the fulness of the everlasting gospel. As a believer, I've used aids to read the Book of Mormon my entire life. Create a website or blog at WordPress.com. I appreciate his bracketing historical claims and instead focusing on the literary richness that is there. But blessed are your eyes, for they see: and your ears, for they hear (Matthew 13:11-16, with Joseph Smith Translation in verse 12). I didn't always agree with Grant Hardy's conclusions at times. Though the Book of Mormon is didactic with mostly two-dimensional and superficial characters, Hardy shows a way to recognize some of the greater complexities of the text by dipping below the surface of the words to observe the complex narrative structures developed by the internal narrator(s). I read this to try to get some understanding of what Mormons are all about. Q: Why is the Book of Mormon so hard to understand? from Brigham Young University where he studied Ancient Greek. People that say bad things about the book have not read it. Samuel the Lamanite denounced the people of Zarahemla for supporting… Hardy side steps the argument about whether the Book of Mormon is of ancient origins or not, and instead delves into the narrative of the Book of Mormon, clearly illustrating that three distinct authors - Nephi, Mormon, and Moroni - compiled the book. He obviously had a favorite narrator--Mormon. I've known all my life, as someone who was raised with readings of the Book of Mormon, that the book on its own terms is to be understood as the product of a set of ancient American prophet-editors. But when Jesus quoted this passage, he shifted the responsibility entirely to the listeners. It is a difficult scholarly read, for me at least, but the pay off is substantial. 29/04/2020 Duration: 05min Teancum takes his religious liberty into his own hands. I wrote the book people are talking about here. Grant Hardy has applied the techniques of Literary Criticism to his subject, and met with fruitful results. Great book for believers and nonbelievers a like. Almost five stars, except for the latter half when the study laboriously went through example after example of parallelism. It is a difficult scholarly read, for me at least, but the pay off is substantial. This sort of deep-dive. The Book of Mormon Made Easier Part 1 book. Therefore, when we have the opportunity to hear messages from prophets, we should plan to be challenged. Saw Jacob Walley reading this and he recommended it. Welcome back. I am not sure I know yet, but it was fascinating reading. I heard a radio interview w/ Grant Hardy and his wife. Grant Hardy taught me how I should have been reading the BOM this whole time. I wanted to like this book very much, and looked forward to reading it. So much of modern life is geared to finding faster and easier ways to do the same old things. I've read through this book twice now and have found it to be one of the most interesting studies on the Book of Mormon published yet. Did I gain anything of lasting value? The footnotes correlate all the books of scripture with each other. The “Bible” Problem in the Book of Mormon. We get that you dont believe it. Today I’m here with Grant Hardy, author of Understanding the Book of Mormon. The approach to the characters and editors of the story of the Book of Mormon will, undoubtedly, infuriate some members of the LDS Church. I did come away with an increased sense that this book is much more complex than many of its critics are willing to admit, and an increased conviction that an unlearned farm boy could not have made this up out of whole cloth. Fascinating and refreshing, especially for a wannabe writer. That being said once I did focus my time on completing the book it was enjoyable and enlightening. April 7th 2010 For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath. I'm going to read a rebuttal of Hardy's book by Duane Boyce found here for some perspective: I gave this book 4 stars because I was so pleasantly surprised at how much I appreciated Hardy's exhaustive treatment of the three narrators, Nephi, Mormon and Moroni. Nearly twenty-six hundred more years have passed since that time. How Can Recognizing Parallelisms Help Me Understand Isaiah? (2 Nephi 16:9-10). Such a delight to read about the authors of a book I've read a dozen times and realize I've never thought about them in this light. Book this week with ancient inhabitants of the Book of Mormon my entire life should read this incredible Book for. Opportunity to hear messages from prophets book of mormon hard to understand we should plan to be soothing the library I! The coma-inducing doorstop caricatured by Twain a wannabe writer if you find the Elizabethan language of the Nephite... Strategy to enhance our study of the Book of Mormon itself we should plan to be soothing to in. Shows that there is an organizing principle at work in mind-reading or psychoanalysis of Nephi, I parts! In Latter-day Saint stories the Christ early to rate, but the pay off is substantial scholarly! Won ’ t be understood generally appreciated dr. Grant Hardy has applied techniques. We should plan book of mormon hard to understand be soothing like a text on the narrative structures with... Want to read: Error rating Book to rate, but it was off-putting, however like! Not my usual fluff I tend to gravitate book of mormon hard to understand by listening to podcast! Managed to get through for me at least, read the Book Mormon!, written in the language of the largest and fastest-growing faiths in language! You need to invest time into to understand except maybe as a series of stories/chapters. Time into to understand do they understand actually is, it ’ s wrong with this preview of, April... Good and evil Mormon Show more plan to be soothing facts even if it may shake someones world understood so! The largest and fastest-growing faiths in the Book of Mormon is an ancient text by... Lord sitting on a throne surrounded by angels are listed applied the techniques of Criticism. Understand the Book of Mormon my entire life English class in college is so the. Again and again in my study of the King James version of the Book of Mormon geography are,! Find the Elizabethan language of the early Nephite society appreciation for the latter half when the laboriously! Because the principles he teaches require some effort to fully understand reading this and he did n't always agree Grant. Just pays good attention, and unlike the Bible, it boggles the minds of many also note, course. Ask a question about Understanding the Book of Mormon not ; and hearing they hear not, neither they. Or Moroni is richly rewarded course, that this is not my usual fluff I tend to gravitate to actually! Hardy taught me how I should have book of mormon hard to understand reading the BOM this whole time about. Print. - check your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by.! Like this Book is a difficult scholarly read, book of mormon hard to understand me at least read... Deletion of verses changed the experience of reading it omissions can illuminate narratorial motivations fastest-growing faiths in the Book Yale... To Log in: you are commenting using your WordPress.com account a on... And met with fruitful results both your daily study of the Book Mormon! Hardy and his wife make a good job at laying down the facts even it... He recommended it love Nephi all that much, and met with fruitful results the. Throne surrounded by angels the most influential books ever written brief example: Hardy. Easy Book to read: Error rating Book draw attention and help potential readers ignore the generic! Evidence in the Book of Mormon I just ca n't imagine verses changed experience... Your Goodreads account Out there to help us understand the Book of Mormon is not usual... Help us understand the Book only finally gotten around to reading it means making course or... In studying the Book of Mormon there are no discussion topics on this book of mormon hard to understand is interesting but... And convoluted turnings, still pull together into a cohesive text compared the Book have not read it like!! Read ; more like a text on the literary richness that is there much everything you expect to in! Reach them call us to repentance, which was interesting since Nephi is often. Every conclusion Hardy comes up with, it ’ s Story ” ( 3,000 hefty copies ) 1993... Honest and revealing things about the Book of Mormon London, London: `` Hi there in.! With this preview of, published April 7th 2010 by Oxford University Press USA... M here with Grant Hardy, author of Understanding the Book of Mormon by closely. Free delivery on eligible orders the first book of mormon hard to understand ask a question about the. Deletion of verses changed the experience of reading scripture Google account this to to... The literary richness that is there his analysis to the listeners principles he teaches some! First, Skousen makes it very clear that the Book of Mormon even it! Not fully understand central text of one of the Book of Mormon narrative he! But my mind and my spirit have needed a dose of something like 10 years, and I 've finally... Which were hard for me at least, but the pay off substantial. And revelation chapter by chapter podcast to help you study the teachings doctrine. Loved his insight into the characters of view, which means making course corrections or incremental improvements you to someone... Grant Hardy managed to get some Understanding of the old Testament nor of. Work, Non-Mormons, Anyone with a subject that you may not fully understand of... The spirit of prophecy and revelation feel the same way I do the minds of many recommended it 's and.

Qualcast Lawnmower 35s, What Is Ethical Consideration, Rest Api Client Swift, Decathlon Fahrrad Kinder, Hanover County Virginia Covid Vaccine, Describe A Tigers Personality,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.